Thursday, October 15, 2009

In Praise of the Whiteley Center, Friday Harbor, San Juan Island, Washington State

In celebration of the Whiteley Center’s tenth anniversary

A few years ago, when my friend novelist Diana Wagman told me about her idyllic week at the Whiteley Center, I immediately went online to find out more about this remarkable facility. As a lifelong theater artist struggling to find the time to complete my new play, even a brief sojourn at the Whiteley Center sounded too good to be true. This month, as I complete my first visit to this amazing institution, I am happy to report that my time here has proven to be not only inspirational and restorative but also ideal for completing a draft of my new play, “Monstrosity.” As I return to Los Angeles with plans to workshop the play and seek collaborations with various directors and theaters, I will never hesitate to cite the Whiteley Center for its vital role in assisting my creative endeavor. My sincere thanks to Arthur Whiteley for his generosity and Kathy Cowell and her friendly, helpful staff for their support. May this first decade firmly establish the Whiteley Center as an enduring treasure for all writers, scholars and artists who are fortunate enough to take advantage of this magical setting.

Dan Duling, Los Angeles Playwright, October 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment